Friday, October 30, 2015

Re-Surfacing to the World of Commentary and Pondering

If my thoughts could go directly from my brain to a keyboard when I am driving or taking a shower, I just might keep up with everything; since that's not really possible for me, I just have to get back to the keyboard!

The last 4-6 months have been quite the time for dyslexia and learning disabilities! Rather than try to really sift through all of the pieces, I realize might just be better to just chew on one at a time.

Today's pondering is related to what appears to be the muddied world of Social Impact Bonds and Pay for Success related to ESEA Bill. One thing I love about having a blog that is mine and not really related to an agency that I work for or represent, is that I can speak out and it's okay if it's not always 100% complete thoughts. Today that is key because, Pay for Success - what the heck is this?

Earning Money Because less Students are Identified as Needing Special Education?

From what I can tell, the short version of a social impact bond, which seems to be the same thing as Pay for Success, is that a Wall Street company funds a social impact project directly related to school success of some kind. When/if that success occurs, the company receives their money back plus interest. I get the upside of opening up some potential opportunities for funding and the goal of success. What I definitely don't get is how these goals are determined and measured - and the fact that it's kids and teachers who get caught in the middle.

The project I have read about today is related to a corporation which receives the return on their investment with interest (through a bond) when students in preschool do not end up in special education. Again, I get how this is a good thing in theory; how about actual translation? For example, it also translates as someone gets extra money for each child not identified as special ed - not necessarily because they are achieving as expected.

And, these types of programs would be part of federally funded projects through the ESEA? Okay, so the money goes into a bond which can provide funding to a non-profit to implement a program in a school..... and the corporations would earn money when programs they have paid for are implemented well. Wall Street directs educational practice is what I keep getting as a mental paraphrasing.

I believe schools need community support to truly do their jobs, but a corporation being able to receive what is really an incentive for support when students are not placed in special education? I see some definite RED flags there!

WHOAH!!!!!

That is where my pondering has stuck this afternoon.

Additional reading:




1 comment:

Carla Boose said...

I really like your blog! I thought you’d like to know about a new accessible community for jobseekers with disabilities I’ve co-founded— http://www.equihire.com/. Our groundbreaking accessible job board is the first-ever on the web and we’re building our community to change the way jobseekers with disabilities find employment and employers find diverse talent.
Would you be interested in blogging about us? As a top blogger in the disability community, it’d be awesome to get your help in spreading the word about EquiHire. Let me know if you’re interested and what you’d need for next steps.
Cheers,
Carla Boose, Co-Founder EquiHire Inc. carla.boose@equihire.com