Sunday, April 29, 2007

The Number Devil




Right now, my math class is studying some number theory using The Number Devil by Hans Magnus Enzensberger. What fun! We’ve talked about exponents and place value while reading about “hopping” and discussed the importance of the number 1 and 0 without any moaning and groaning about doing math! Someof it has been a bit challenging as I try to take it out of the book and have them apply - but I think that’s more my learning curve than there’s sometimes. Tomorrow we’ll look at “Prima Donna” numbers which will review the prime number work we did before break, so I’m curious to see if the connections are made. It has been great fun though watching the connections that have been made, especially since my students are all different ages (5th-8th) and very different levels and needs. Some are self-proclaimed math-haters, but are growing into confident problem solvers - but that’s another discussion….

No comments: