Sunday, April 29, 2007

What to do?

I face a challenge with my blog I think. I work at a school for students with learning differences (dyslexia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia, ADD/ADHD and combinations of these). We have created a wikispace which for me serves a few purposes: opens communication between home and school, supports those with organizational issues, supports some of the written expression/reading needs and provides students and (ultimately) our school community some space to be connected.
My dilemma is walking the line of confidentiality and privacy. I love highlighting the awesome things my students do and are capable of and find that it is important to do so. Their self-identity is often built on negative experiences or focused on their challenges. So my dilemma is that I am excited about the concepts of edublogs, being able to express the awesome things (and challenges) that are happening with my students, etc... but I have to be careful about protecting their privacy. With only 23 students in our school, it is often clear even without names who is who.....so how do I best balance the obviously supportive environment the electronic world has to offer with showcasing their talents and giving credit for their hard work with protecting their privacy within their special education labels?

No comments: