Thursday, March 20, 2008

Perception and Reality

Out of Mouths of Babes

Okay, maybe not babes, but middle school children anyway. This week, one of our parents subbed for a sick teacher and at lunch she told me she had an Out of the Mouths of Babes story she just had to share. She was right - she had to share it and so do I. Perception can be a funny, funny thing - and can come from who-knows-where!

As she was getting ready that morning, she was looking for something to wear and was debating about wearing a skirt. She apparently had this debate out-loud as when she added the "because I might have to shave my legs" her son, who is in my middle school class, told her to "Just do what Mrs. Barto does".

At this point I was more than intrigued, because I was quite positive that I have never talked about shaved or unshaven legs of mine or otherwise in either history or English class, to which he explained: "Just wear tall boots. Tall, leather boots like Mrs. Barto does".


Well, status of my legs withstanding, I was fascinated by his take on my fashion choices. Reality and comprehension are based on perception, and (apparently) perception can come from lots of different thought patterns! Out of the Mouths of Babes indeed......

No comments: